top of page

Does Medicare cover everything?

Does Medicare cover everything?

Answers from Ciarra Dobbs, local agent and owner of Senior Insurance Solutions at Lake of the Ozarks

I sit with a lot of people who are turning 65 and becoming eligible for Medicare for the first time - and let me tell you - the confusion is REAL. If this is you, don't feel like you are alone. Medicare can be extremely confusing, especially when you are new to it and are trying to navigate it on your own.

One of the questions I get most often is does Medicare cover everything? It's a valid question and one you should be well educated on before transitioning onto Medicare. 

The long and short of it is, no not everything is covered. 

Part A of Medicare is what is called Hospitalization coverage – including inpatient hospital care, skilled nursing facility, lab tests, hospice, surgery and home health care. Part B, which is medical coverage, includes doctor services, outpatient surgery, durable medical equipment and home health care. Medicare covers 80% of costs incurred through parts A and B. The remaining 20% is the responsibility of the beneficiary – which is where Medigap policies come in – to pick up the additional expenses Medicare doesn’t cover such as coinsurance, copayments and deductibles. Some of the items and services that Medicare doesn’t cover are long term care, most dental care, eye exams related to prescribing glasses, dentures, cosmetic surgery, acupuncture, hearing aids and routine foot care.

I will always encourage using a local, licensed professional when you are new to Medicare. If you are already a beneficiary of Medicare but still have general questions, find an advocate. That is what I strive to be in my community, because when it comes to something like Medicare, people just want to sit across from someone they trust and know it is done right. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! As always, reach out to me with any questions you have!

15 views0 comments


bottom of page